Monday, June 20, 2011

Terry's Model Portfolio: A Work in Progress

Let's have some fun.

I could write another dry daily update about the market today. The market continued to bounce within a symmetrical triangle and the trend remained down. Volume was awful, thus producing a delicious rising wedge pattern. But I decided to be more creative.

Let's assume that I am a Hedge Fund Manager. I manage Twyman Asset Management. Terry is my first client. After assessing market conditions, I decided that we can grow his account by least 100% between tomorrow and November 2011. Terry doesn't know what to make of this goal but he decides that I must know something about the market.

I lay out the following terms and conditions for this campaign:

Beginning Portfolio Balance: $10,000

Duration of Campaign: June 21, 2011 to November 21, 2011

Fund Manager: Wink

Fund: Twyman Asset Management

Rules of Engagement: The world is my oyster. I can make 1 trade, 5 trades, 10 trades or no trades at all. I can buy or sell. I can use stocks, bonds, treasuries, derivatives, exchanged traded funds, options, commodities, mutual funds or ultra funds, and, of course, cash. I have total discretion.

Execution of Trades: I must notify Terry of the trade confirmation as soon as possible. No hindsight investing.

Five Strikes Against Me:

1. I only have five months to reach my 100% goal. Fund managers normally have 12 months to reach their goal.

2. I don't have a cracker jack staff of tens of researchers to go out into the field and research companies. Its just Wink and his lap top.

3. We are in a strong Bear Market. It is easier to lose money than to make money.

4. 100% rate of return is unheard of for a Fund Manager. According to my preliminary research, the top Hedge Fund in 2010 was Bridgewater Associates: +38%. "Ray Dalio's 'zen' approach to an investment firm paid off as they returned one of the higher totals across the hedge fund industry last year." They manage $75 billion in global investments. Wink will be managing Terry's hypothetical $10,000 portfolio.

5. I am fading myself in a sense. The trend is down. Attempting to make any money, let alone 100%, will require a good sense of timing and market skill.

Conclusion. This exercise will be in real time. Can Wink grow Terry's portfolio by more than 100% with five strikes against him? Can Wink leave Bridgewater Associates in the dust for the year 2011? Stay tuned....

Your hypothetical fund manager at the starting gate,

Wink

Standard Disclaimers
1. This blog is for educational purposes only.
2. None of the individuals associated with the Las Vegas TSP Investment Club are registered financial advisors.
3. This blog is not an offer to the public to buy or sell any stocks, options, commodities or futures.
4. You are encouraged to do your own due diligence and to consult with a professional financial advisor before making any investment decision.
5. This blog cannot take responsibility for the results of your investment and trading decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment