Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Education of a Blogger

Good morning.

As you all know, I am a big discipline of technical analysis. Technical analysis is simply a collection of tools in the tool box. Elliott Waves, moving averages, and stochastic readings can keep us on the right side of the trend. And that's really enough to make money or to keep from losing money. There is an art to market research. Different researchers might draw different conclusions from the same raw market conditions. And that is ok. Nicholas Darvas might only go long the market and make money while Jesse Livermore might go long and short and make money. Its a personal call. My aim is to beat the S&P 500 Index this year by taking advantage of waves, moving averages, and trends. As market conditions change, I might substitute one tool for another but the aim always remains the same; i.e. to outperform the S&P 500 Index for 2011.

Do I have long-range views on the economy? Yes, I do.

One of my favorite activities is reading. I love to read. For me, hanging out at Barnes and Noble is the ultimate R&R. I should have become a history professor but I digress. As a law professor, I was drawn to a study of the Commerce Clause, specifically the Dormant Commerce Clause. Shadows intrigued me. I wanted to better understand the shadows cast by the congressional power to regulate interstate commerce when congress was silent. Heady stuff, no? (Smile) Ok, I'm a nerd to the nth degree which is probably why I understand Hedge Fund Manager Michael Burry, formerly of Scion Capital.

I continued to read about the market and the economy during the early 2000s. I wanted to know why Bear Markets developed. I can still remember reading Riding the Bear by Sy Harding and feeling like the fog had been lifted. Harding's vital revelation to me was that the 200-day moving average separated a Bull Market from a Bear Market. As economic conditions worsened, I began reading The Prudent Bear blog. In those days, I soaked in all of the commentary that I could digest about economic cycles, debt cycles, and business cycles. I am sure that Prudent Bear led me to Ian Gordon and the Kondratieff Winter.

Ian Gordon's website, The Long Wave, was like Harding's Riding the Bear on steroids. Gordon laid out the clear and compelling case that we had entered a new season, the Kondratieff Winter. The idea was that economies went through four seasons similar to the weather. There was a Spring when economic conditions gave birth to a new boom. It was a good time to invest in stocks for the long haul. It was not a good time to be in precious metals or cash. As the economy got stronger, the economy moved into the Summer time. These were good times, times of prosperity. Recessions were short-lived. However, the seeds of good fortune led to too much debt. This debt would cripple the economy and result in an eventual Winter of bankruptcies, defaults, and insolvencies.

The more I read, the more the Kondratieff Winter made sense. It explained better than alot of other stuff why the Bear Market began in 2000 and seemed to keep going. Gordon believed the Kondratieff Winter was generational in length. So, we should expect subpar economic conditions until at least 2022. This time frame is also consistent with Arnold's demographic work in The Great Bust Ahead and Larry Williams' cycle work.

So, on a day to day basis, I may give you running commentary on the latest short-covering rally or late day sell-off. These dramas are but ripples in the larger story. The larger story, I believe, is a generational turn down. No amount of Federal Reserve quantitative easing will solve the structural dilemma of too much sovereign debt. (In this regard, I am a daily reader of Zero Hedge Blog, Market Oracle UK, and Economic Collapse. These are uber Bearish blogs and not for the faint of heart/smile.)

I take a Bearish view of the world over the long run. For my money, Gordon T. Long has replaced Professor Nouriel Roubini as the intellectual force for the Bear Case. I suggest a casual reading of Long's prolific essays and articles (Where does he find the time?) Long's work is insightful, far-sighted, and prophetic. I would not bet against Long in my investing and trading.

So, there you have it--the education of a blogger.

Standard Disclaimers
1. This blog is for educational purposes only.
2. None of the individuals associated with the Las Vegas TSP Investment Club are registered financial advisors.
3. This blog is not an offer to the public to buy or sell any stocks, options, commodities or futures.
4. You are encouraged to do your own due diligence and to consult with a professional financial advisor before making any investment decision.
5. This blog cannot take responsibility for the results of your investment and trading decisions.

2 comments:

  1. Wink,

    Thanks for the post.

    In a bear market like we are currently facing what sectors would you likely see growth? I have recently started exploration of short term investing in individual stock and of course the problem is finding the right stocks to invest in.

    I would say I also lean toward the technical side by I don't fully understand it. If you think this is the right forum, I would love to see some discussion on technical indicators.

    Thanks
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry,

    If I were a Hedge Fund manager, I would be 100% in cash right now. Hard experience has taught me that it is easier to lose money than to make money in a Bear Market. I am a big believer in an easy life. Why buck the down trend trying to pick up a few pennies here and there? I would be on summer vacation a la Jesse Livermore.

    When I returned from summer vacation in the Fall, I would have a meeting with my staff. I would lay out my market forecast for the rest of 2011. In a power point presentation, I would show that odds favored a market bottom in the October/November time frame.

    I would orate on the power of Elliott Waves. I would tell the staff that, as surely as night follows day, Bull Markets follow Bear Markets. Our job was to prepare for buying opportunities in the October/November time frame.

    I would issue the following directions to my research staff:

    *During the month of October, identify stocks that are beginning to go up while the general market continues to decline

    *Ignore the old leaders (Apple, Google, Research in Motion) in the previous Bull Market. The best money was on new leaders.

    *Start to buy in November. Buy stocks that (a) are going up and (b) have a 10-fold increase in volume compared to the earliest part of the year.

    *I want (a) isolated strength (b) in the face of general market weakness with (c) supporting price action and (d) volume. It would be a bonus if (e) no one knew anything about the stock. (Reasoning--Insiders will be the first to know why a stock should be bought in the depths of a down trend.)

    With this strategy, the Fund would be best positioned to profit from the year-end rally (remember the La Jolla Fisherman from last year and the Rare Earth Elements craze?)

    So, I would not be inclined to see growth in a Bear Market. I'm sure there are some sectors like public utilities or precious metals that might warrant a look see but its a hard road to travel.

    Having said the above, there is important work in the Stock Trader's Almanac 2011 that might be of interest to you. On page 92, there is a selected listing of sectors based upon seasonable patterns. We are now in late June. According to the Sector Index Seasonality Table on page 92, July is a good time to go long gold and silver and utilities. These sectors are most likely to see growth.


    As for technical indicators, let's proceed this way. Ask me specific questions about technical indicators and I'll give you the best answer I can.

    I wish you well with investing in a Bear Market. It can be done. I like waiting until the down trend has exhausted itself before buying (See March 6, 2009 and August 25, 2010).

    Ask me questions about technical indicators....

    Wink

    ReplyDelete