Friday, January 7, 2011

Club Members - A 1 Percent True Selling Day

One of the rules that I use for calling trend reversal is Gary Smith's 1 percent true selling day.

What do I mean?

According to Smith, "A 1 percent true selling day occurs after a period of rising prices of at least two weeks in which the Dow, S&P, Nasdaq 100, and Russell 2000 indexes all close down 1 percent or more on the same trading day. These types of days often are trend busters and can be harbingers of serious price declines ahead. I use a little leeway, however, in defining such selling days. For instance, if three of the four indexes are sharply lower--say, down 1.5 percent to 2 percent or more--but one is down only .75 percent to 1 percent, then I interpret that as a true selling day. However, my limit is .75 percent." Gary Smith, How I Trade for a Living, pages 112-113.

My personal style is to look for any three indexes to be down more than 1% on the same day.

As I type, the Nasdaq is down 1.20%, the NYSE is down 1.00%, and the Russell 2000 is down 1.76%. And it is a Friday.
I'm calling today a 1 percent true selling day.

Bad news is sold in a Bear Market.

Later.

Standard Disclaimers
1. This blog is for educational purposes only.
2. None of the individuals associated with the Las Vegas TSP Investment Club are registered financial advisors.
3. This blog is not an offer to the public to buy or sell any stocks, options, commodities or futures.
4. You are encouraged to do your own due diligence and to consult with a professional financial advisor before making any investment decision.
5. This blog cannot take responsibility for the results of your investment and trading decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment