Saturday, December 11, 2010

100 Tips for Investing and Trading

These tips all come from Market Wizards by Jack D. Schwager:

1. You've got to learn how to fall, before you learn to fly. -- Paul Simon

2. One man's ceiling is another man's floor. -- Paul Simon

3. If I wanted to become a tramp, I would seek information and advice from the most successful tramp I could find. If I wanted to become a failure, I would seek advice from men who had never succeeded. If I wanted to succeed in all things, I would look around me for those who are succeeding and do as they have done. -- Joseph Marshall Wade

4. Any common denominator among the traders I interviewed had more to do with attitude than approach. -- Jack D. Schwager

5. Trading provides one of the last great frontiers of opportunity in our economy. -- Jack D. Schwager

6. When I was starting out, I found biographies and interviews of successful traders particularly helpful. -- Unknown Trader

7. The traders themselves have not a glimmer of doubt that, over the long run, the question of who wins and who loses is determined by skill, not luck. -- Jack D. Schwager

8. Risk control was absolutely essential to successful trading. -- Jack D. Schwager

9. Ironically, the trade that I consider my turning point and one of my best trades ever was actually a loss. -- Jack D. Schwager

10. Although I usually found my own analysis more persuasive when we disagreed, Marcus ultimately proved right about the direction of the market. -- Jack D. Schwager

11. As soon as it knew that I was in, the market took that as a signal to start descending. -- Michael Marcus

12. I guess I had good instincts even then, because I immediately said to John, "We're not doing too well, let's get out!" -- Michael Marcus

13. I learned that if you shoot for what you want, you stand a better chance of getting it because you care much more. -- Michael Marcus

14. The trend is down, and I'm going to stay short until the trend changes. -- Ed Seykota

15. I wasn't patient enough to wait for a clearly defined situation. -- Michael Marcus

16. The markets were so fertile for trading then that I could make plenty of mistakes and still do well. -- Michael Marcus

17. I was trying to hit the crest of the wave just at the right moment. But if it didn't work, I just got out. -- Michael Marcus

18. The secret is cutting down the number of trades you make. -- Michael Marcus

19. The best trades are the ones in which you have all three things going for you: fundamentals, technicals, and market tone. -- Michael Marcus

20. A bull market should shrug off bearish news and respond vigorously to bullish news. -- Michael Marcus

21. When a trade met all of my criteria, I would enter five to six times the position size I was doing on other trades. -- Michael Marcus

22. I knew that the big money was going to be made on the trades that met my criteria. -- Michael Marcus

23. Now you almost have to be contrary. You have to ask, "Isn't it true that all my fellow professional traders are already in, so who is left to buy?" -- Michael Marcus

24. Once you have defined a trend and taken a position, everyone else has taken a position as well. Since there is no one left to buy, the market swings around in the other direction and gets you out. -- Michael Marcus

25. The big players, including the governments, would always tip their hand. If we saw a surprise price move against us that we didn't understand, we often got out and looked for the reason later. -- Michael Marcus

26. I believe, as a courtesy, the European central banks are notified about major changes we are going to make, and they often act ahead of U.S. policy announcements. Consequently, the price move shows up in Europe first, even if it is because of something we initiate. -- Michael Marcus

27. One of my rules was to get out when the volatility and the momentum became absolutely insane. -- Michael Marcus

28. I think to be in the upper echelon of successful traders requires an innate skill, a gift. -- Michael Marcus

29. Always use stops. -- Michael Marcus

30. If a position doesn't feel right as soon as you put it on, don't be embarrassed to change your mind and get right out. -- Michael Marcus

31. If you become unsure about a position, and you don't know what to do, just get out. You can always come back in. -- Michael Marcus

32. Hold on to your winners and cut your losers. Both are equally important. -- Michael Marcus

33. You also have to follow your own light. -- Michael Marcus

34. Every trader has strengths and weaknesses. -- Michael Marcus

35. In the final analysis, you need to have the courage to hold the position and take the risk. -- Michael Marcus

36. You need to be very aware that the world is very sophisticated and always ask yourself: "How many people are left to act on this particular idea?" You have to consider whether the market has already discounted your idea. -- Michael Marcus

37. How many days has the market been down or up in a row? What is the reading on the sentiment indexes? -- Michael Marcus

38. When the news is wonderful and a market can't go up, then you want to be sure to be short. -- Michael Marcus

39. The leading cause of financial disablement is the belief that you can rely on the experts to help you. -- Michael Marcus

40. Your average broker couldn't be a trader in a million years. More money is lost listening to brokers than any other way. -- Michael Marcus

41. Trading requires an intense personal involvement. You have to do your homework, and that is what I advise people to do. -- Michael Marcus

42. A good trader can't be rigid. -- Michael Marcus

43. If you can find someone who is really open to seeing anything, then you have found the raw ingredient of a good trader. -- Michael Marcus

44. Gut feel is very important in trading. --Michael Marcus

45. Being a successful trader also takes courage: the courage to try, the courage to fail, the courage to succeed, and the courage to keep on going when the going gets tough. -- Michael Marcus

46. Albert Einstein said that the single most important question is whether the universe is friendly. -- Michael Marcus

47. I think it is important for everybody to come to a point where they feel inside that the universe is friendly. -- Michael Marcus

48. If trading is your life, it is a torturous kind of excitement. -- Michael Marcus

49. In the end, losing begats losing. -- Michael Marcus

50. When you start losing, it touches off negative elements in your psychology; it leads to pessimism. -- Michael Marcus

51. I am very open-minded. -- Michael Marcus

52. I am willing to take in information that is difficult to accept emotionally, but which I recognize to be true. -- Michael Marcus

53. When a market moves counter to my expectations, I have always been able to say, "I had hoped to make a lot of money in this position, but it isn't working, so I'm getting out." -- Michael Marcus

54. If the trend in your equity is down, that is a sign to cut back and reevaluate. Or if you see that you are losing money a lot faster than you made it, that would be a warning. -- Michael Marcus

55. I really feel that if you can trade one market, you can trade them all. -- Michael Marcus

56. Trading is emotion. It is mass psychology, greed, and fear. It is all the same in every situation. -- Michael Marcus

57. For most great traders, early failure is more the rule than the exception. -- Jack D. Schwager

58. Early trading failure is a sign that you are doing something wrong; it is not necessarily a good predictor of ultimate potential failure or success. -- Jack D. Schwager

59. Taking advantage of potential major winning trades is not only important to the mental health of the trader, but is also critical to winning. --Jack D. Schwager

60. Letting winners ride is every bit important as cutting losses short. -- Jack D. Schwager

61. If you don't stay with winners, you are not going to be able to pay for the losers. -- Michael Marcus

62. It is important to commit to an exit point on every trade. -- Michael Marcus

63. Protective stops are very important because they force this commitment on the trader. -- Michael Marcus

64. Liquidate positions to achieve mental clarity when one is losing money and is confused regarding market decisions. -- Michael Marcus

65. It is necessary to follow your own mind as a trader. -- Michael Marcus

66. Be restrictive in selecting trades. -- Michael Marcus

67. Wait for those trades in which all the key elements line up in one direction. By doing so, you greatly enhance the probability of success on each trade. -- Michael Marcus

68. Making lots of trades when the conditions appear to be only marginally in favor of the trade idea has more to do with entertainment than trading success. -- Michael Marcus

69. I would wait until the market moved up to a certain level and then retraced by a specified amount before adding another unit. -- Bruce Kovner

70. At that moment, I realized that the markets were truly capable of taking money away every bit as fast as they gave it to you. That made a very strong impression on me. -- Bruce Kovner

71. To this day, when something happens to disturb my emotional equilibrium and my sense of what the world is like, I close out all positions related to that event. -- Bruce Kovner

72. The first rule of trading--there are probably many first rules--is don't get caught in a situation in which you can lose a great deal of money for reasons you don't understand. -- Bruce Kovner

73. If you apply yourself, great things can happen. -- Bruce Kovner

74. It is very easy to miss the point that you really can do it. -- Bruce Kovner

75. If you take a position and use discipline, you can actually make it. -- Bruce Kovner

76. You have to be wiling to make mistakes regularly; there is nothing wrong with it. -- Bruce Kovner

77. Michael Marcus taught me about making your best judgment, being wrong, making your next best judgment, being wrong, making your third best judgment, and then doubling your money. -- Bruce Kovner

78. I have the ability to imagine configurations of the world different from today and really believe it can happen. -- Bruce Kovner

79. I can imagine that soybean prices can double or that the dollar can fall to 10 yen. -- Bruce Kovner

80. I stay rational and disciplined under pressure. -- Bruce Kovner

81. Trading skills can be taught only to a limited extent. -- Bruce Kovner

82. Distinguishing traits of trainees who made it as traders are that they are strong, independent, and contrary in the extreme. They are able to take positions others are unwilling to take. -- Bruce Kovner

83. A greedy trader always blows out. -- Bruce Kovner

84. I almost always trade on a market view; I don't trade simply on technical information. -- Bruce Kovner

85. I use technical analysis a great deal and it is terrific, but I can't hold a position unless I understand why the market should move. -- Bruce Kovner

86. Technical analysis can often clarify the fundamental picture. -- Bruce Kovner

87. When the market moved, I was prepared to go with that movement because we had a conjuction of two important elements: a major change in fundamentals (although I wasn't smart enough to know in which direction it would impact the market), and a technical price breakout on the upside. -- Bruce Kovner

88. There are well-informed traders who know much more than I do. -- Bruce Kovner

89. I simply put things together. -- Bruce Kovner

90. The market usually leads because there are people who know more than you do. -- Bruce Kovner

91. There are thousands of difficult-to-understand mechanisms that lead the market, which come into play before the news reaches some poor trader sitting at his desk. But the one thing that does hit the market is a huge sale or purchase. -- Bruce Kovner

92. Technical analysis, I think, has a great deal that is right and a great deal that is mumbo jumbo. -- Bruce Kovner

93. Technical analysis tracks the past; it does not predict the future. - - Bruce Kovner

94. You have to use your own intelligence to draw conclusions about what the past activity of some traders may say about the future activity of other traders. -- Bruce Kovner

95. You want to know everything you can about the market to give you an edge. -- Bruce Kovner

96. Technical analysis reflects the vote of the entire marketplace and, therefore, does pick up unusual behavior. -- Bruce Kovner

97. By definition, anything that creates a new chart pattern is something unusual. -- Bruce Kovner

98. It is very important for me to study the details of price action to see if I can observe something about how everybody is voting. -- Bruce Kovner

99. Studying the charts is absolutely crucial and alerts me to existing disequilibria and potential changes. -- Bruce Kovner

100. Tight congestions in whch a breakout occurs for reasons that nobody understands are usually good risk/reward trades. -- Bruce Kovner

Standard Disclaimers
1. This blog is for educational purposes only.
2. None of the individuals associated with the Las Vegas TSP Investment Club are registered financial advisors.
3. This blog is not an offer to the public to buy or sell any stocks, options, commodities or futures.
4. You are encouraged to do your own due diligence and to consult with a professional financial advisor before making any investment decision.
5. This blog cannot take responsibility for the results of your investment and trading decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment